Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Shea Moisture: Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk


    Today’s review is on the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Style Milk. I have used products in the Shea Butter line before and have had a very good experience with them so far. So I was very optimistic when I bought the style milk and couldn’t wait to use it once I got home.






The Look 

    The “style milk” comes in an 8 oz bottle that is easy to store and take on trips. It is very easy to use and since it comes in a bottle and not a round container, like other products in the line, it is mess free. This is fantastic because you can then have more control over the amount of product you use.


Ingredients

    The ingredients I am going to list are the most important ones found in the product. They are listed in the same order they are found on the label. As always, ingredients listed on labels are placed from those most found in the product to those least found in it.

1- Shea Butter: I am in love with Shea butter and have recently started using it in its raw form on my elbows, skin and hair. The constant use of Shea butter has many benefits, from fading scars and preventing wrinkles, to eliminating scalp irritation and restoring hair luster. I will post an article on the benefits and uses of Shea butter later on. For now, all you need to know is that it is amazing and that the Shea butter used in this particular product is organic.


2- Coconut Oil: You have all probably heard about how great coconut oil is for the hair and scalp. I personally apply it on my hair every other day in order to maintain shine and promote healthy hair growth. You can also use it as a treatment for dry scalp, skin moisturizer, to treat and prevent dandruff, and as a cooking oil. It is always best to buy organic coconut oil in order to receive the best results.


3- Silk Protein:  This is a natural protein that helps the hair and skin stay soft and moisturized. It is used in many shampoos, conditioners, lotions, bath gels, shaving creams and soaps in order to keep the hair and skin smooth. There is a small description of silk protein on the label that says: “silk protein reduces breakage, strengthens hair, adds smoothness and silkiness”. These are obviously things we all want for our curls.


4- Neem Oil:  This oil comes from the Neem tree in India. The oil has been used for many years to treat skin diseases and maintain healthy, shiny hair. It is known to strengthen hair, help cure dandruff, remove head lice and treat problems with the skin such as psoriasis.


**Other ingredients that I found less of but are important to mention are:

- Sage
- Carrot
- Honeysuckle
- Vitamin E
 ( To read the post on the benefits on vitamin E visit http://ricitosdecanela.blogspot.com/search?q=vitamin+e )


My Experience

    Smell and Texture:

        The product has a very sweet but not overpowering coconut smell. It is very creamy, but I was surprised to see that it was not as thick as other leave-in conditioners I have used in the past. However, this did not discourage me, on the contrary I found it to be a positive aspect of the product. When using it my hair felt moisturized without feeling heavy or sticky.

    Results:

        I used the product in various ways, the first time I tried it was directly after I had washed my hair. As a leave-in it is fantastic! My curls felt smooth, soft, conditioned, looked fantastic and the scent lasted a long time. However, when I tried to use it as a styling product it was less effective.

       I made bantu knots in my hair and left them on overnight, using only this product as the styling agent. Although the hair ended up feeling soft and luscious, the style did not hold. Therefore, I ended up only using it as a leave-in conditioner and a curl reviving product. I did this by combining water and a bit of the hair milk in a spray bottle, and I sprayed it on my hair every morning to give it a bit of a lift.


Final Verdict

    As a leave-in and daily moisturizer this product is, as of right now, my favorite. It is light, smooth, and gives my hair a fantastic look and feel. As a styling product, I am still on the fence. It has no hold which means that styles such as bantu knots and twist-outs may not come out as expected.

Rating

As a leave-in: 5 stars

As a styling product: 3 stars




References:

1. Silk Protein found in http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item/Silk_Protein_Hydrolyzed/503/

2. Benefits of Neem Oil found in http://www.livestrong.com/article/204592-what-are-the-benefits-of-neem-oil-for-the-hair/

No comments:

Post a Comment